AAT Bioquest

How should rhodamines be disposed of?

Posted September 30, 2021


Rhodamines are highly toxic and a biohazard. They cause serious eye damage and skin irritation on direct contact. They are also harmful if swallowed or inhaled, causing nausea, headaches, and shortness of breath. Rhodamines are also a biohazard and are especially toxic to aquatic life resulting in long-lasting effects.

Special care must be taken when disposing of rhodamines. They must not be disposed of with household garbage. Unused contents as well as gloves, equipment used, containers, and packaging material must only be disposed of through an approved licensed professional disposal service or waste disposal plant.

Additional resources

Removal of the hazardous dye rhodamine B through photocatalytic and adsorption treatments

Texas Red-X, succinimidyl ester *Single isomer* *178623-11-5*

Rhodamines and Rhodamine Derivatives