What are the functions of bacterial cell walls?
Posted March 1, 2023
The bacterial cell wall performs several crucial functions.
- Helps to maintain cell shape and structural integrity, thereby helping the cell move, grow, reproduce, and obtain nutrients
- Provides overall strength to the cell
- Protects the cell from osmotic lysis as it moves around different environments
- Prevents toxic substances from entering the cell
- Contributes to the pathogenicity or disease-causing ability of the bacteria