What are the advantages of whole genome sequencing?
Posted June 24, 2022
Whole genome sequencing is a laboratory process that involves sequencing the whole genome, including both the coding and noncoding regions. This offers researchers several advantages:
- Delivers a comprehensive, base-by-base view of the complete genome
- Capable of detecting both large and small variants including single nucleotide variants
- Enables the identification of potential causative variants that facilitates follow-up studies of gene expression and regulation mechanisms
- Provides vast volumes of data in a short amount of time
- Is ideal for identifying causative variants and novel genome assembly