What are the advantages of using mounting medium in biology?
Posted April 6, 2023
Using mounting medium in biology offers several significant advantages:
- Protects against deterioration and contamination: The mounting medium fixes the sample to the slide, thereby protecting it from damage, degradation, and external contamination.
- Allows for clearer images: Choosing a mounting medium with a refractive index similar to that of the sample allows the light to pass through the sample without refraction or scattering, resulting in a higher-quality image.
- Holds specimen in place during observation: By adhering the sample to the slide, the mounting medium prevents it from moving or falling off while imaging.
- Provides contrast: Dyes and other components in mounting media help to enhance the contrast of the sample, making it easier to observe.
- Preservation: Mounting media helps to preserve samples for long-term storage without deterioration or damage.