What is the purpose of a mounting medium in biology?
Posted April 6, 2023
Using a mounting medium is important when you want to observe a specimen under a microscope. The mounting medium serves several important purposes:
- Helps hold the sample in place while you are imaging.
- Mechanically stabilizes and supports the sample so delicate structures don’t break off.
- Prevents the sample from drying out.
- Prevents moisture and bacteria from coming in contact with the sample, causing it to decompose.
- Reduces photobleaching
- Improves image quality when its refractive index (RI) closely matches the RI for the objective you will use
- Preserves sample for long-term storage