What are features of next generation sequencing?
Posted May 2, 2023
Next-generation sequencing (NGS) is a massively parallel sequencing technology that’s used to determine the order of nucleotides in entire genomes or targeted DNA or RNA regions in order to study genetic variations associated with diseases and other biological phenomena. It offers ultra-high throughput, speed, and scalability.
Notable features of next generation sequencing include:
- Enables the sequencing of hundreds to thousands of DNA strands at one time in multiple samples
- Enables the identification and analysis of different types of genomic features in a single sequencing run from single nucleotide variants
- Higher sequencing depth enables higher sensitivity for detection of low-frequency variants
- Lower sample input requirements
- Higher sample throughput
- Higher capacity with sample multiplexing
- Faster turnaround time for high sample volumes, allowing studies to be performed quickly without compromising accuracy